Elizabeth M. Nichols, MD
Education and Training
Dr. Nichols is a board certified radiation oncologist. She completed her residency in radiation oncology in 2013 from the University of Maryland. She completed her internship in internal medicine at the University of Maryland in 2009. Dr. Nichols graduated from medical school from the University of Maryland School of Medicine in 2008 and graduated from Duke University with a Bachelor’s of Science in 2004.
- Nichols EM, Cohen RJ, Cheston SB, Feigenberg SJ. Radiation Therapy in the Elderly with Early Stage Breast Cancer: Review and Role of New Technology. J Nucl Med Radiat Therapy. 2014, 5:5
- Nichols EM, Feigenberg SJ, Marter K et al. Pre-operative radiation therapy significantly increases patient eligibility for accelerated partial breast irradiation using 3-D conformal radiotherapy. Am J Clin Oncol 2013: 36(3):232-238.
- Nichols EM, Dhople AA, Mohiuddin MM, Flannery TW, Yu CX, Regine WF. Comparative analysis of the post-lumpectomy target volume versus the use of pre-lumpectomy tumor volume for early stage breast cancer: implications for the future. IJROBP 2010:77(1):197-202.
- Nichols EM, Kesmodel S, Bellavance E, Dragula C, Tkaczuk K, Cohen RJ, Citron W, Morgan M, Staats P, Feigenberg S, Regine WF. Preoperative Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation for Early-Stage Breast Cancer: Preliminary Results of a Prospective Phase II Trial. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2016.11.030
- Nichols EM, Bentzen SM, Scartoni D, Giacomelli I, Roque DM, Rao G, Hanna N, Mohindra P. National cancer database analysis of uterine carcinosarcoma (UC): improvement in survival with the use of radiation therapy. IJROBP 2016: 96(2):S49.
- Nichols EM, Snider JW, Zhang B, Hall A, Becker SJ, Badiyan SN, Mutaf YD, Feigenberg SJ. Dosimetric comparison of intensity modulated proton therapy (IMPT) partial breast irradiation (PBI) and a breast stereotactic radiation therapy (BSRT) device. IJROBP 2016: 96(2):E677.
- Mohindra P, Bentzen SM, Scartoni D, Giacomelli I, Rao G, Roque DM, Hanna N, Nichols EM. Adjuvant therapy for locoregionally advanced endometrioid adenocarcinoma (EA): upfront chemotherapy (UC) or upfront radiation therapy (UR)? IJROBP 2016: 96(2):E289.
- Mohindra P, Bentzen SM, Giacomelli I, Scartoni D, Roque DM, Rao G, Hanna N, Nichols EM. Adjuvant whole-pelvic radiation therapy (WPRT) for endometrioid adenocarcinoma (EA): 45 Gy or 50/50.4 Gy? IJROBP 2016: 96(2):E300.
Dr. Nichols’ research interests focus on the use of the GammaPodTM in the treatment of early stage breast cancers; the use of pre-operative partial breast irradiation in the treatment of early stage breast cancers; and the use of proton therapy in the management of breast cancers. Dr. Nichols also performs clinical research on a variety of gynecologic malignancies including the use of radiation therapy in the management of uterine carcinosarcoma.
Dr. Nichols’ clinical practice focuses on treating patients with breast and gynecologic malignancies.
Dr. Nichols participates in the “Core Mentoring Program” with the School of Medicine and teaches in the “Introduction to Clinical Medicine I” class for first year students.